Commemorative plaque at the entrance to Fort St. George at Elmina
23,5 x 15 cm
gable stone / memorial stone
Elmina [Elmina, Mina, S. George del Mina, La Mina, St. George d'Elmina]
St. George, fort [St. George del Mina, fort]
Rijksdienst voor Cultureel Erfgoed
inventory no. TG1076
Anoniem / Anonymous
Commemorative plaque at the entrance to Fort St. George at Elmina.
The stone refers to Johan Maurits van Nassau.
Around 1953 the fort was being used as a police academy.
Fort St. George at Elmina was the headquarters of the WIC governor on the gold coast after being captured in 1637 from the Portuguese.
West Africa coast