- View of the Cape of Good Hope.
- <Cabo de Bone Esperanse>.
- Legenda: <1. Casteel van Goede Hoop / 2. Een Kleyn Fortie. / 3. Den Tafel berg. / 4. Den Leewen berg. / 5. De plaets daer de Scheepen. leggen en vervarsen>.
- The inset on the right shows the Castle of Good Hope.
- Dr Olfert Dapper (1636-1689) published a large number of books after 1663. He wrote a history of the city of Amsterdam and furnished the first Dutch translation of Herodotus. But he is known particularly for his many descriptions of foreign lands which he compiled from various sources, without ever seeing the countries he wrote about for himself. This plate is taken from a description of Africa.