Chart mapping part of the route taken by Schouten and Le MaireMap of AmbonMap of Ambon and environsMap of Boero, Ambon and part of CeramMap of BoeroeMap of Boeroe, MoluccasMap of Celebes, the Moluccas and the PhilippinesMap of Ceram, Ambon and the Banda islandsMap of Ceram, Ambon and the Banda islandsMap of Groot Ceram, that is, the MoluccasMap of Indonesia and the PhilippinesMap of Manipa, Bouro and the west coast of CeramMap of New Guinea and GiloloMap of the Ambon districtMap of the eastern part of SeramMap of the Indian OceanMap of the Indonesian archipelagoMap of the island of BoeroMap of the island of BouroMap of the island of CeramMap of the lake on BuruMap of the MoluccasMap of the MoluccasMap of the north coast of New GuineaMap of the Pacific Ocean, from Malacca to JapanMap of the southeastern part of the Banda islandsMap of the southern part of Celebes, Ceram and TimorMap of the worldMap showing several Moluccan islands and a view of Seram
The biggest part of the Moluccan islands of Buru and Ceram fell outside the sphere of influence of the Company. On the island of Buru the Company maintained a fort on the Bay of Kajeli, in the north east of the island. After a series of conflicts between the VOC and the population of Buru the Company built a fort by the name of Mandarsjah in 1658. In 1662 it was replaced by the redoubt of Costburg, renamed Oostburg three years later. This redoubt burned down in 1688 as the result of an explosion and subsequently a new wooden fort named Defensie was built there. This fort was built on a square base with four half bastions, two of which with watchtowers. Buru supplied the VOC with carpentry and firewood.