With a few interruptions, the VOC maintained a base in Arraccan from 1625 to 1665. After building a new trading post in 1653, the VOC signed an agreement with the local rulers which included an exemption for the VOC from the local toll. The slaves supplied by Arraccan were prisoners of war from Bengal. When the war between Arraccan and Bengal ended, the slave trade came to an abrupt halt. As a result, the VOC closed its trading post in Arraccan.