The VOC set up an office in Gamron, known today as Bandar Abbas, in 1623. It functioned as the head office of the Persian section. The VOC were based here from 1623 to 1659. Thereafter an overseer remained to keep an eye on the trading post for the Company until 1765. In Gamron the VOC purchased wool and attar of roses; and above all silk. Besides spices and cotton fabrics, the VOC also sold porcelain, opium and Japanese lacquer work. The shahs of Persia granted the Company trading concessions in the 17th century in exchange for military support and the opportunity to sell silk to the British as well as to the Dutch. Gamron had a relatively small garrison comprising around 20 European employees and 20 Persian staff. A new VOC lodge was built in the late 17th century, after the original building was severely damaged by earthquakes. Gamron was a highly profitable base for the VOC in the 17th century. But after the Persian kingdom fell to the Afghans in the early 18th century trade came to a standstill. In 1766 the VOC was forced to abandon its efforts in the Persian Gulf in the face of British competition.
- anoniem/anonymous, Landmonsterrollen (1691-1790)
- Floor, W., The Decline of the Dutch East Indies Company in Bandar 'Abbas, 1747-1759 (1989)
- Floor, W. / M.H. Faghfoory, The First Dutch-Iranian Commercial Conflict (Costa Mesa, 2004)
- Floor, W., The Afghan Occupation of Persia, 1722-1730 (Parijs, 1998)