The Portuguese, who were driven out of Ceylon in 1658, had built a large number of churches. The church at Chundikkulam is typical of the Portuguese architecture. The Company did not let the churches go to waste. Teachers were taken on and in the same churches which had once echoed to the Catholic mass, religious teachers now taught Protestantism to the local inhabitants. The compilers of this database have not as yet come across a source in the literature that identifies this location as a VOC post.