According to Postma, the WIC had a trading post in Epe or Appa. According to Den Heijer, this place was named Appa by the Dutchman Hendrik Hartog. Hartog had worked in another place with the same name, but further west (Epe or Appa 1 in this database), but had to flee from there in 1738 due to wars between the local rulers. Appa 1 and the WIC fort there was destroyed by the enemies of the king of Dahomey, whose side Hartog had chosen in the conflict. Hartog then moved operations to Appa 2, some 120 kilometres east of Pattackerie.
|region||West African coast|