The outbreak of the Second Esopus War provided a new impetus for fortifications in the patroonship of Rensselaerswijck. At the end of June 1663, Johannes La Montagne reported to Stuyvesant that the patroonship claimed three of the guns at Fort Orange, “to place them at the Green Bush in a little fort or fortification, which they build there.” It is likely that this refers to the location now known as Crailo State Historic Site, but the documentary evidence does not allow pinpointing the site. Recent excavations between the front of the 1740s house to the street and under the sidewalk along the street revealed evidence of a deep trench that could have been a stockade trench. Seventeenth-century artefacts were found, but the archaeological evidence is as yet inconclusive.
Greenbush, fort (New York)
- Jacobs, J., Dutch Colonial Fortifications in North America 1614-1676 (Amsterdam, 2015), 63