In 1600, two years before the VOC was founded, the Dutch built the fort of Verre here in order to oppose the Portuguese who controlled trade in the area. The fort, named after the Compagnie van Verre, was built with the aid of the local population. They called the fort Kota Warwijck, after the first Dutch seafarer to have set foot on Ambon. The fort was soon abandoned. However, the VOC's land muster-rolls of the 18th century indicate that Hatoenoekoe remained occupied by the Company, although no more than two or three people were ever stationed there.
- anoniem/anonymous, Landmonsterrollen (1691-1790)