Djeddah, today known as Jiddah, was the port of Mecca, the focus of Islamic pilgrimage. At the beginning of the 17th century, the VOC attempted to trade Far Eastern spices and other goods for coffee and silver in Jedda. The town fell within the jurisdiction of the VOC resident in Mocha, now Al-Mukha. Disappointing results led the Company to cease trading in Jedda in 1655. However, it did continue to derive revenues from transporting pilgrims there. The compilers of this database have not as yet come across a source in the literature that identifies this location as a VOC post.
Cidade de Iudda