Fort Henricus on the island of Solor was built by the Portuguese in the second half of the 16th century. The VOC captured the fort in 1613. The settlement at Solor was aimed at controlling or gaining a monopoly on the trade in sandalwood, which was imported from Portuguese East Timor. In 1616 it was abandoned. In September 1618 the territory was occupied once more and the actual fort of Frederik Hendrik (also known as Hendricus or Henricus) was built. In 1628 the fort was abandoned once more, only to be reoccupied in 1646 as a result of The Hague truce, which forced the VOC to define its various territorial claims. From 1655 staffing at the fort was reduced to two woodsmen, or gunners, and in 1760 the fort was finally abandoned altogether.
|fortification(s)||Fredrik Hendrik, fort (Solor) Kijck in de pot, fort (Solor)|
- Dam, Pieter van, Beschryvinge van de Oostindische Compagnie (uitgegeven door Dr. F.W. Stapel) ((Den Haag), 1701 (1927))