The writer O.F. Mentzel, who recorded the settlements at the Cape around the turn of the 18th century, called Zwartland the fifth district of the Cape. The area, whose name derived from its black earth, was situated above Land van Waveren and Groenecloof. The local church dates from 1745. A literary source identifying this location as a VOC post has not yet been traced. The images of this location featured in this programme currently serve as source.