Mangalore lay 120 kilometres north of Cannanore. This town was situated on the border of the southern coastal strip of Malabar and the northern coastal strip of Canara. Following the Dutch conquest of the Malabar Coast the Dutch occupied the fort built here by the Portuguese. In 1722 the VOC constructed a new lodge. A literary source identifying this location as a VOC post has not yet been traced. The images of this location featured in this programme currently serve as source.