A rudimentary Portuguese fortification on the beach constructed in 1629 by Cristovão Álvares was taken and fortified by the Dutch, this fort was called Baluarte do São Francisco, Forte Montenegro or Forte do Queijo. This fortification was captured by the Portuguese in 1649. It was later enlarged by the Portuguese and still exists today.
1629 rudimantary structure, fortified before 1649
Montenegro, fort (Olinda)
Forte do Queijo
Baluarte do São Francisco, fort