Petapuli, also known as Nizampatam, in 1606 became the location of the first Dutch trading post on the Coromandel Coast. The town was famous for the manufacture of fine 'lijnwaten' or textiles. Petapuli was situated to the south east of Masulipatam, which was to become the location for the chief comptoir of the VOC on the Coromandel Coast. The trading post at Petapuli was abandoned around 1669.
- Dam, Pieter van, Beschryvinge van de Oostindische Compagnie (uitgegeven door Dr. F.W. Stapel) ((Den Haag), 1701 (1927))