The founding of Beverwijck in 1652 did not take away the need to provide for fortifications to protect colonists living north of the new village. Most, if not all, of those living there were tenants or employees of the patroonship of Rensselaerswijck. As relations between the court of Rensselaerswijck and the court of Fort Orange and Beverwijck were strained, intervention by higher authority was required. In May 1653, director general and council reiterated their previous order to construct a blockhouse.According to Jan Baptist van Rensselaer, this was “a redoubt on the Fifth Kill for the protection of the grist mill.” It is unknown whether the planned fortification was carried out as planned.
Redoubt at the Fifth Kill, fort
- Jacobs, J., Dutch Colonial Fortifications in North America 1614-1676 (Amsterdam, 2015), 56