Saway, situated on the bay of the same name on Ceram's northern coast, was the first Dutch settlement to be established on this coast. Establishing a presence in the north and east of Ceram was less important to the Company than acquiring a foothold on the other islands which made up Ambon (the central and southern Moluccas). The outpost at Saway comprised a simple building surrounded by a stockade, a wooden perimeter fence. By 1788 or thereabouts the Company had fortified this settlement, which also boasted a stone powder magazine, with an additional 44 men.
- anoniem/anonymous, Landmonsterrollen (1691-1790)