Bernagore lay on the east bank of the Hougly river, some 18 miles south of Chinsura. As was the case in Chinsura and Mirzapore, Bernagore had been leased to the VOC by the Mogul and the Company paid rent for the lands annually. The larger vessels that were unable to reach Hougli because of the shallow waters roundabout anchored in Bernagore or in Falta.
- Dam, Pieter van, Beschryvinge van de Oostindische Compagnie (uitgegeven door Dr. F.W. Stapel) ((Den Haag), 1701 (1927))