The biggest part of the Moluccan islands of Buru and Ceram fell outside the sphere of influence of the Company. On the island of Buru the Company maintained a fort on the Bay of Kajeli, in the north east of the island. After a series of conflicts between the VOC and the population of Buru the Company built a fort by the name of Mandarsjah in 1658. In 1662 it was replaced by the redoubt of Costburg, renamed Oostburg three years later. This redoubt burned down in 1688 as the result of an explosion and subsequently a new wooden fort named Defensie was built there. This fort was built on a square base with four half bastions, two of which with watchtowers. Buru supplied the VOC with carpentry and firewood.
- anoniem/anonymous, Landmonsterrollen (1691-1790)