At Groote Schuur, 15 kilometres east of the Fort of Good Hope, Van Riebeeck built a grain store. The place was also known as 'de Schuur'. Groote Schuur was also used as a place of worship around 1663. In 1666 the place offered work to 25 colonists and a large number of slaves, both male and female. The grain store had originally been built with the aim of providing grain for the settlement in Cape Town and the VOC ships that put in there on their way to the east. Later it became a trading post for wood, among other things. The trading post was closed down in 1788.
- Sleigh, D., Die buiteposte: VOC-buiteposte onder Kaapse bestuur 1652-1795 (Pretoria, 1993)