Sirkhej, or Sergees, now known as Sharkej, was a small town near Ahmadabad which was reputed to supply the best indigo in all India. The VOC opened a trading post there in the 17th century, which closed in 1670. Like many Indian cities, Sirkhej had a 'tang' or tank, which functioned primarily as a reservoir for the town's drinking water. In addition gardens were often laid out around these tangs, which served as the burial ground for leading citizens of the town. The tombs often took the shape of little round buildings.
- [Coolhaas, uitg. Van Linschoten Ver.], Pieter van den Broecke in Azië ([Den Haag], )