Around 1730 the VOC maintained a fort and a trading station in Soecawayana. The settlement boasted a carpenter, a cooper and a blacksmith. In addition there was a powder room, lodgings for the military, a hospital and a church. The town was situated at the point where two rivers met; these were the Tsitaron, also known as the Beet River, and Tsikouw. The town was most likely also known as Tjikao at a later date. A literary source identifying this location as a VOC post has not yet been traced. The images of this location featured in this programme currently serve as source.