View of the Amsterdam gate from the south.
Several grenadiers, recognisable by their tall headgear, guard the gate. The gate itself and the troops' barracks flanking it on either side were built on the orders of Governor-General Van Imhoff, who held this post from 1743-1750.
Depicted in the foreground is a fountain; extreme left is the VOC printing works; to the extreme right a bridge spanning the Tijgersgracht with the roofs of the 'Oostzijdse' warehouses just visible behind.
Around 1850 a revised version of the Amsterdam gate was built. This was demolished in 1950.
pen and brush
HET KASTEL PORTE Von Buyten. Rach, Johannes
35,5 x 52 cm
|owner||National Library of Indonesia|
- Bruin, M. de en B. Kist, Johannes Rach 1720-1783. Artist in Indonesia and Asia (Jakarta, 2001)