Lay-out of the company gardens in Cape Town
Anoniem / Anonymous / Braam, J. van / Linden, Gerard onder de
Lay-out of the company gardens in Cape Town.
From 1652 onwards, the VOC compelled its ships to stop at the Cape of Good Hope to take on refreshments. The company established a garden where vegetables were grown to supply the ships.
Nowadays the old company gardens are a public park in Cape Town.
The plate is taken from: 'Oud en Nieuw Oost-Indien' by Francois Valentyn.
Top left: No: 45.
The plate features a numbered key with explanatory notes.Please contact Koninklijke Bibliotheek for reuse and copyrights.