Residence of the governor general within the walls of the castle at Batavia
View of the inner courtyard of Batavia Castle, where the VOC buildings were located.
To the left the residence of the director general is shown, while the residence of the governor general and company offices
are shown right.
In the centre to the rear the castle's chapel may be glimpsed with its classical pillars and coat of arms.
Cf. Atlas van Stolk, inv. nr. top1037.
The engraving has been taken from an illustration in Joan Nieuhof's 'Gedenkwaerdige zee en lantreize', 1682.Please contact Westfries Museum for reuse and copyrights.