Most of the VOC outposts in Amboina were established in strategic locations in order to protect the clove islands against attack from other European powers. The outposts were also intended as surveillance points to monitor Asian shipping and the island residents. This was aimed at ensuring that the Ambon villagers surrendered their cloves harvest to their village chiefs, who in turn were required to supply the product to the Company. Liang was a native village on the northeastern coast of the island of Ambon, with a redoubt. In 1635 110 men were stationed at the redoubt.