Coastline profiles of the Obi and Sula groups and north Maluku
Jolinck, Heyndrick Dircxz.
After staying at Ambon for about two months, on 8 May 1599, the Amsterdam and Utrecht, part of the Tweede Schipvaart to the East Indies, set sail to Ternate, where they hoped to obtain cloves. After sailing between Buru and the island of Manipa, they they passed between the Sula and Obi Islands, before arriving in the Northern Moluccas proper.
Heyndrick Dirrecksen Jolinck, helmsman of the Amsterdam, drew these coastline profiles of the various islands en route. On the top left, Lifumatola and an island he identifies as ‘Xula’, present-day Mangoli. These are followed by Pulau Obilatu (here called Bilatto), as seen 4 miles north of the observer. At the bottom of the left page is the island of Tapat (here called 'Tappa'), north of the larger island of Obi. This is shown as as seen north of the observer at about 4 miles distance. Jolinck notes the island is about 2 miles long.
On the right page, we see a profile of the main island of Bacan, (called ‘Bachian’ here) as seen when it is 4 miles from the observer in northeast by east direction, followed and a smaller island he names ‘Butu Maday’ which has not been identified.
At the bottom right is an island named ‘Marigarang’. It is not clear to which island the latter name refers.