Title Leupe: Plan van de stadt en vesting Cayenne.
In the Fourth Anglo-Dutch War (1780-1784), France was an ally of the Republic. Both in the East (Cape Colony, Ceylon) as in the West (Sint Eustatius, Essequibo, Demerara, Berbice) French expeditionary fleets watched over the Dutch in this conflict to prevent the premature loss of important overseas possessions, but even so most of them still had to be ceded to Great Britain during the Napoleonic period. Hence, it was not strange that, at the beginning of November 1781, Governor Bernhard Texier of Surinam sent the military engineer Johann Friedrich Ferdinand Wollant to the neighbouring French colony of Cayenne to confer with the authorities there about reciprocal military aid (in other words, about French assistance to the Dutch colonies) and the supply of French weapons, ammunition and food. During this mission, which lasted until the end of January 1782, as well as his other commissions, Wollant collected data for his fine general map of the coast between Paramaribo and Cayenne under number VEL667, for his various designs for gunboats to protect the mouth of the Surinam River (see VEL2022-2027) and for this map with fortification profiles of the capital Cayenne and its immediate environs. Although the town was much smaller than Paramaribo, the large fort of Saint-Louis offered Cayenne much better protection, despite Wollant’s remarks in upper right that most of the cannon of 12 pounds and lighter calibre were defective.
Scale-bar of 150 Rids = 101 ‘strepen’.
Wollant, Johann Friedrich Ferdinand
(assigned to land surveyor / mapmaker)
0.185 - 0.50 El.
|fortification(s)||S. Louis, fort (Cayenne)|
- Heijer, H. den, Grote Atlas van de West-Indische Compagnie = Comprehensive Atlas of the Dutch West India Company, II, de nieuwe WIC 1674-1791 = the new WIC 1674-1791 (Asia Maior/Atlas Maior, Voorburg, 2012), 208 and 313