The Laurentian Library (Biblioteca Medicea Laurenziana) is a historic library in Florence, Italy, containing more than 11.000 manuscripts and 4.500 early printed books.Built in a cloister of the Medicean Basilica di San Lorenzo di Firenze under the patronage of the Medici pope Clement VII, the library was built to emphasize that the Medici were no longer just merchants but members of intelligent and ecclesiastical society. It contains the manuscripts and books belonging to the private library of the Medici family. Part of the collection are the so-called Carte di Castello, collected by Cosimo de Medici III in 1667 and 1669 during his tours through Europe, which contain 66 topographical watercolours by Johannes Vingboons.
NOTE: Copyright of all images reserved. Please contact the library for questions regarding reproduction and publication.