Map of the island of São Vicente in Cape Verde
Cloppenburg, Johannes Everardus van
Title Leupe: Kaart van de baay van St. Vincent.
In April of 1762 the Directors gave instructions to find out whether the islands of St. Vincent and St. Antonio were suitable for taking on supplies and at the same time to check whether they ‘lay on the right latitude’, that is, had been drawn on the maps with the correct coordinates. The investigation was done by Nicolaas Pietersz, skipper of the Amstelveen on the way to Batavia. On 5 September 1762 he reported that the location of the islands was shown more or less accurately on the maps. A passing Portuguese ship had pointed the way and informed the skipper that the roadstead of St. Vincent was the usual anchorage for them.
The report was less positive regarding the possibilities for finding supplies on the islands. St. Antonio (Santo Antão), which was explored by skipper (probably actually navigator) J.W. Cloppenburg, turned out to be desolate and infertile, and although good drinking water was found near the village, the quantity was too small to be of any use for the ships. The situation was not much better on St. Vincent. On this map, for instance, he mentions how the water source at the bay was 'of no use and brackish'.
North is left.
Scale-bar of 2 German miles fifteen in a degree = [approximately 1 : 61,000].Please contact Nationaal Archief for reuse and copyrights.