Project plan for the extension of fort Amsterdam
Anoniem / Anonymous
Title Leupe: Plan van een gedeelte van de Willemstad met de nieuwe projectens en hoe ver wij met het leggen van het fundament in 't water tot heden geavanceerd zyn op den 3 Julij.
For the two years after Director of Fortifications Hertell came up with his plan for the defence of Willemstad in 1742 (see VEL1444), the work on it continued, particularly on the enlargement of the old 'Bloedfort' bastion in the town walls on the Waaigat. Its new foundations were laid in 1744 and this required the filling in of a piece of land against the former bastion. On this map it becomes clear only one foundation (number E) remained to close the gap and fill the platform. This was as far as it went, however, because in the following year a new plan for the fortification and expansion of Willemstad was drawn up by Director Faesch and a prominent resident, Willem Meijer, a major in the civil militia. This plan required that the wall be taken much farther to the east.
North is up.
Scale-bar of 30 Rhineland Rods = 117 ‘strepen’.Please contact Nationaal Archief for reuse and copyrights.