Project plan for new fortifications around Willemstad
Burmania, Gemme Onuphrius van
Title Leupe: Plan van de Willemstad en het fort Amsterdam op het Eyland Curaçao.
General Van Burmania’s 1751 plan depicted both the fortification and expansion of Willemstad itself as well as the building of several new strongholds in the immediate environs of the town. On the western side of the entrance to Sint Anna Bay, he planned a strong fort on the reef (c), to replace or to reinforce the two batteries erected on this side in 1701-1703, under Director Nicolaas van Beek, namely Punta Brava, where the chain to close off the harbour was kept, and the Rifbatterij (Reef Battery). The general also desired a strong fort (d) on the southern slope of strategic Mount Scharlo (‘Berg van Scharlo’) on the opposite side of the Waaigat, to protect Willemstad from hostile attack on the landward sides. Only in 1796, right on the summit of the hill Seru Sablica, slightly to the north of the location indicated here, was Fort Republic erected. In 1816 this was renamed Fort Nassau.
North is up.
Scale-bar of 70 Rhineland Rods = [approximately 1 : 1500].Please contact Nationaal Archief for reuse and copyrights.