Map of the Piscadera Bay
Schrijver, Carel Gustaaf / Esdré, Godfried Carel
Title Leupe: Plan van de Piscadores Bay, met nadere veranderingen.
This map shows the location which was eventually chosen for a new fortification at the Piscedera Bay in 1740. It was attached to the report of the engineers Schrijver and Esdré to the board of directors on 4 July 1744. The 1740 stronghold suffered from the same disadvantages as the planned fortification on Sint Michiel Bay, namely that the landing place on the beach or on the reef (D on the map) was out of the range of the guns, but enemy ships could fire on the battery. To obviate this problem, in conformity with the resolution of the States-General of 9 October 1743, the engineers planned a second small fort or redoubt closer to the landing place, which can indeed also be seen on their 1744 map.
Taken from: mission report from the egineers from 4 July 1744.
North is upper left.
Scale-bar of 40 Rhineland rods = [approximately 1 : 1,790].Please contact Nationaal Archief for reuse and copyrights.