Map of Sint Michiel Bay
Serz, Christoph Gottlieb Friedrich
Title Leupe: De St. Michiels Bay.
In their resolution of 9 October 1743, the States-General decided on a plan according to which a star-shaped low battery with a square central tower should be erected at Sint Michiel Bay, on a spot a little more to the west than earlier plans had called for. Work was carried out on the new stronghold at intervals in the following years, but it was never completed. This 1776 site map of the engineer Serz shows that after 1750 the incomplete construction dating from 1744 served as a foundation for the two batteries on Sint Michiel Bay. As a consequence, the disadvantage of the site originally planned was surmounted in the end.
North is upper left.
Scale-bar of 60 Rhineland Rods = [approximately 1 : 1,440].Please contact Nationaal Archief for reuse and copyrights.