The ships on the roadstead of Batavia and people in the city got their potable water from the Waterplaats (water basin) south of the city at the connection of the Molenvliet and the Ciliwong River. Here the water was not polluted, as it was further downstream in the city. In 1656, the Hoge Regering (Central Government of the VOC) ordered the construction of the redoubt Batenburg to protect the Waterplaats against raids by roaming soldiers from Bantam. After the construction of powder mills near the Molenvliet, the redoubt was used to store the gunpowder. A small military guard protected the site. In 1740 the soldiers beat off an attack of revolting unemployed Chinese land labourers and prevented that they could get the gunpowder. After the revolt the defences and the redoubt were updated and modernized. In 1757 a triangular fort was built to protect the water supply and powder house. It was named Grietenburg after Geertruida Maria Mossel, the daughter of Governor-general Jacob Mossel (1750-1761). The fort was demolished by Governor general Herman Willem Daendels (1808-1911). Today Pasar Glodok stands on the site of the fort. There are no visible remains of fort Batenburg.