The outpost at Groene Cloof was established in a bid to repel attacks by the Hottentot peoples. The region, which had originally been inhabited by the Cochoqua tribe of herdsmen, was extremely rich in natural vegetation and was known for its broad valley. Over the 10 years from 1673 to 1683 the VOC succeeded in driving the Cochoqua from the region through a combination of war, annexation and taxes. Groene Cloof was used to step up livestock numbers and to help provide food supplies for the Cape of Good Hope. The post comprised a walled complex with a post house, a warehouse, a shop and livery stables. It was surrounded by extensive gardens with a fountain. When the post was abandoned in 1790, it was inhabited by nine European colonists and 21 slaves.