Palliport was known for its tower, built by the Portuguese in 1503 for surveillance of shipping at the mouth of the river at Cranganore. In 1661 the VOC took over the tower. There were no difficulties since the Portuguese had already abandoned the base. In 1789, when the VOC lost control of the trade on the Malabar coast, the tower was sold to the king of Travancore. A literary source identifying this location as a VOC post has not yet been traced. The images of this location featured in this programme currently serve as source.