Nagelwanze was situated in the Coromandel interior on a tributary of the Khrishna about halfway between Masulipatnam and Golconda. The village population numbered many weavers, textile sellers and farmers. Goods and textiles were collected and stored at the VOC's trading post. In 1670 the Company started construction of a lodge in the centre of the village. The head of the lodge was referred to as a chief.