Particularly in northern Ceylon many of the local population had been converted to Catholicism by the Portugeuse. As the principal European power in the region after 1658 the VOC saw it as imperative that Protestantism be promoted in its place to gain the loyalty of its new subjects. To this end it opened schools for the provision of religious education. The school at Eluthumadduval numbered around 650 pupils. Here the Company also had stables for elephants which were sold to supply the armies of the Indian princes. The compilers of this database have not as yet come across a source in the literature that identifies this location as a VOC post.