In 1651 governor Arnold de Vlaming van Outshoorn ordered to build a wooden fort near the village called Negeri Lima. In 1655 this first defensive structure was replaced by a square stone blockhouse, called Haarlem. Eventually this structure was neglected for quite some time and collapsed. In 1817 commissioner-general Buyskes ordered a new blockhouse to be built on its ruins, with the objective to fight the pirates and to protect nearby hamlets. The new blockhouse was named after Baron Van der Capellen, who visited it in 1824. Around 1860 the structure was abandoned and fell into ruin. In 2013 a flood destroyed the remains of the blockhouse, so that only the foundations presently remain.