In its resolution of 10 July 1656, the government of the VOC in Batavia ordered the construction of the earthen redoubt Zoutelande at the end of the Antjolse Vaart (canal to Ancol) near the mouth of the river Ancol, about five kilometres east of Batavia. The redoubt, which was designed by surveyor Johannes Listingh, controlled the traffic along the Antjolse vaart and ships entering and leaving the river. In 1667 the earthwork was replaced by the square brick battery Post Antjol. A sentry post controlled the traffic over the road along the canal. The road along the Antjolse Vaart could be closed with a pagger (wooden defense work). The fort became even more important after the opening of the toll bridge over Antjol river in 1738, which made it easier to go from Batavia to Tandjoeng Priok. In 1740 the fort played a role in the defence against Chinese rebels on their way to Batavia, who tried to cross the bridge.
Around 1750 Antjol became a real fort when it was enlarged with three bastions and on the fourth corner the already existing battery. Inside the fortification stood the houses of the post holder and the master gunner and the military guard house.
The fort was demolished in 1809-1810 on order of Governor general Herman Willem Daendels (1808-1811). There are no visible remains today.