Floor plan of Fort Collenburg
Title Leupe: Platte grond van het fort Collenburg, leggende aan het Binnewater de Fuyk.
This is one of the maps of Fort Collenburg which Captain Cornelis Schrijver made in 1737. Together with the accompanying report, these maps give an impression of the modest proportions and light armament of this fortification and also suggest ways to improve it. On this sketch, a ground plan of the second floor is shown which includes but one cannon. The series and suggestions were to no avail and the improvements appear to have never been made. The only occasion on which the fort was actually attacked, on the 18th of June 1805 in the run-up to the British action against Fort Beekenburg led by Murray, the fort easily fell into enemy hands and was later destroyed by the British during their retreat to their ships. In passing, Schrijver states that during his inspection of Collenburg he had no foot-rule with him and so had just ‘paced out’ the measurements.
North is right.
Scale-bar of 50 feet = 10 'strepen'.Please contact Nationaal Archief for reuse and copyrights.