Map of Fuik Bay
Title Leupe: Plan van d' Fuykhaven, met het fort Collenburg.
The most eastward fortification on Curaçao from the era of the New WIC was Fort Collenburg, which had been built in 1714 opposite the entrance to Fuik Bay, following the attack by the corsair Jacques Cassard. At the time, the modest stronghold with no bastions was given a battery for a maximum of six guns on the seaward side and had no ordnance at all on the landward side. Fort Collenburg remained in this ineffectual form until the end of the Company period, without any serious plans ever being made to improve or extend it. Hence, there are no project maps or plans of it available.
This schematic map of the whole of Fuik Bay was enclosed to the report of Captain Cornelis Schrijver from 1737. In it, Schrijver does not make any further recommendations about the defence of the place. In the key he does mention the fort walls, with comments on their extent. The lowness of the walls made it necessary to make the embrasures narrow enough to prevent the enemy from climbing through them.
North is up.
Scale-bar of 2400 feet = [approximately 1 : 3,420].Please contact Nationaal Archief for reuse and copyrights.