Map of Fuik Bay
Schrijver, Carel Gustaaf / Esdré, Godfried Carel
Title Leupe: _Plan van het Binnenwater of Haven van de Fuik, benevens de peilingen op de Kust, tusschen de Schout by nachts
en Vice-Admiraals hoek._
The most eastward fortification on Curaçao from the era of the New WIC was Fort Collenburg, which had been built in 1714 opposite the entrance to Fuik Bay, following the attack by the corsair Jacques Cassard. At the time, the modest stronghold with no bastions was given a battery for a maximum of six guns on the seaward side and had no ordnance at all on the landward side. Fort Collenburg remained in this ineffectual form until the end of the Company period, without any serious plans ever being made to improve or extend it. Hence, there are no project maps or plans of it available.
This large anonymous site map or chart of Fuik Bay was sent to Amsterdam by ‘the Engineers’ in May 1742. These egineers were most likely Carel Schrijver en Esdré who both produced similar maps for the other bays of Curaçao.
Taken from: report from the engineers from 22 May 1742.
North is upper left.
Scale-bar of 100 Rhineland Rods = [approximately 1 : 3,600].Please contact Nationaal Archief for reuse and copyrights.