The Brandwacht (‘Fire Watch’, a term generally used in the Dutch colonies at that time to indicate a first-alert post) was originally a lookout post on Mot Creek, built in 1685 to keep an eye on the sailing route along the east coast to the mouth of the Surinam River. In the 18th century, it additionally consisted of a redoubt on the eastern bank of the creek, about three-quarters of a kilometre from the mouth, with a separate picket station on the sea coast.