Tegal, fort

In the eighteenth century the Company settlement of Tegal, some eighty kilometers east of Cirebon, was important for its rice deliveries to Batavia from the hinterland, which until 1743 was still Mataram territory. In 1708 the existing pagger (wooden fort) was replaced by a stone fort with two diagonal bastions, which was rebuilt in 1754. It was extended around 1780 when four bastions were added. Between 1853 and 1863 the fort was listed as a fort of the fourth category (against a native enemy). When it was removed from the list of forts in 1863, there was a garrison of 50 soldiers and one officer. A part of the complex was already used as a prison. The fort was transferred to the civil government and is still used as a prison. The two bastions at the north side have been replaced by watch towers. The gate has been replaced by a modern office building.


Sources and literature

Knaap, Gerrit, Grote Atlas van de Verenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie II, Java en Madura = Comprehensive Atlas of the United East India Company, II, Java and Madura (2007)

Pusat Dokumentasi Arsitektur, Inventory and identification of forts in Indonesia (2010)