In 1756 the sultan of Banjarmasin asked the support of the VOC against the Bugis. In the treaty between Sultan Banjermassin and Johan Andreas Paravinci of October 1756, the VOC got permission to build a stone fort to protect her own and the sultans interest: Fort Tatas. Fort Tatas was a polygonal structure with a palisade. There were 3 bastions facing the river and 2 bastions facing the landside. The sultan of Banjarmasi informally ceded sovereignty to the Dutch in 1786–1787, though he retained the throne. In April 1876 it was decided to build a new fort of the fourth class (against a native
enemy) on the site of the old VOC fort. In 1901 Governor General Willem Rooseboom (1899-1904) removed Tatas from the list of permanent forts in the Dutch East Indies. In 1981 the Sabilala Muhtadin Great Mosque was built on the site of the fort. The moat is the only still existing part of the second fort.