The Bay of Lakui on the southern side of Banda Besar was used by VOC ships as a protected anchorage. According to Reinier de Klerk, this small coastal battery was built to cover this anchorage in 1620. This is where the VOC-forces landed on Banda Besar in 1621, during the ill-fated first expedition to conquer the island. Still mentioned in the 18th century, at present there are only some remains of the southern and western walls present. These are 60 cm high and 50 cm wide.