Leewenkop was situated on the Leeuwenberg mountain on the Cape's western coast. It was originally established as a signal post and a surveillance point for the coastal defences. Around 1657 Van Riebeeck earmarked it as the location to set up fire beacons. Right up until the end of the VOC era Leeuwenkop remained a strategic outpost, in part because it offered a view of both Robben Island and Dassen Island.
- anoniem/anonymous, Landmonsterrollen (1691-1790)