The Portuguese in the town of Nossa Senhora da Conceição, surrounded by the Dutch troops and cut off from outside help, were forced to surrender in 1633. Another anonymous map shows positions of the Dutch and the lay out of the town and the surrounding countryside. Note the quarters of father and son Tourlon on the rear side of the city on the map in image 14.The city was renamed Schoppestad in honour of Lieutenant-General Sigismund van Schoppe. The Dutch built a wall around the church and closed the rear side of the city; they also made a small fortification, like a watch tower to the north.
The town was attacked by the Portuguese on 18 June 1646 and nearly conquered (Hulsman 2014b: 8). The Dutch then decided to abandon the fortification and concentrate their forces in Fort Orange. The retreat was hampered by rumours of treason in Fort Orange, so that most of the cannon were broken and thrown down from the hill. The decision was apparently reversed because a map from 1648 shows two redoubts. There 12 cannon were rendered when the Dutch surrendered the town in 1654. The Dutch defences in this period constitute an as yet undefined multiple object.